But when my friend asked me to accompany her to QiGong in Balham I decided to give it a go. After all, the first class is free and what else am I going to do on a Monday night? Well, preferably treat myself to some wine and a nice meal but there's always Tuesday.
Wikipedia describes QiGong as a practice of aligning breath, movement, and awareness for exercise, healing, and meditation. QiGong practise involves rhythmic breathing coordinated with slow stylised repetition of fluid movement, a calm mindful state, and visualisation of guiding qi through the body.
Right. Guiding qi through the body. I can do that. Sounds as easy as guiding a gin through my oesophagus.
So we get there and my first warning that this isn't going to be the giggle I thought is the fact that besides me and my friend, only one person has showed up. He's clearly popular I thought while musing over his purple outfit.
The first thing he has us doing is swing our arms from side to side as a little warm up. Except it wasn't so little. This lasted 15 minutes. All the while I had to listen to the instructor talk about feeling the energy moving from the earth. Feel your yang. Move the energy through your chi. Um... I can't even write about this without keeping a straight face. This went on for an hour. The killer though was when a girl fainted and he said, don't worry, it happens. The chi sometimes does that. Your mind can't take all the chi energy. Just move the earth and you'll be fine. I mean seriously!
I was going to write about all the funny stuff he made us do, but I'll leave it at this: never partake in this. This was the worst hour of my life. Save yourself and hit Nandos instead.
So we get there and my first warning that this isn't going to be the giggle I thought is the fact that besides me and my friend, only one person has showed up. He's clearly popular I thought while musing over his purple outfit.
The first thing he has us doing is swing our arms from side to side as a little warm up. Except it wasn't so little. This lasted 15 minutes. All the while I had to listen to the instructor talk about feeling the energy moving from the earth. Feel your yang. Move the energy through your chi. Um... I can't even write about this without keeping a straight face. This went on for an hour. The killer though was when a girl fainted and he said, don't worry, it happens. The chi sometimes does that. Your mind can't take all the chi energy. Just move the earth and you'll be fine. I mean seriously!
I was going to write about all the funny stuff he made us do, but I'll leave it at this: never partake in this. This was the worst hour of my life. Save yourself and hit Nandos instead.
oh my God that is hilarious!!
ReplyDelete